Air Conditioning 101
Central Air Conditioning 101
The typical central air conditioning system is a split system, with an outdoor air conditioning, or “compressor bearing unit” and an indoor coil, which is usually installed on top of the furnace in the home.
How Central Air Conditioning Works
- Using electricity as its power source, the compressor pumps refrigerant through the system to gather heat and moisture from indoors and remove it from the home.
- Heat and moisture are removed from the home when warm air from inside the home is blown over the cooled indoor coil. The heat in the air transfers to the coil, thereby “cooling” the air.
- The heat that has transferred to the coil is then “pumped” to the exterior of the home, while the cooled air is pumped back inside, helping to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
- Central air conditioning can also be provided through a package unit or a heat pump.
How Central Air Conditioning Benefits you
- Indoor comfort during warm weather
Central air conditioning helps keep your home cool and reduces humidity levels.
- Cleaner air
As your central air conditioning system draws air out of various rooms in the house through return air ducts, the air is pulled through an air filter, which removes airborne particles such as dust and lint. Sophisticated filters may remove microscopic pollutants, as well. The filtered air is then routed to air supply ductwork that carries it back to rooms.
- Quieter operation
Because the compressor bearing unit is located outside the home, the indoor noise level from its operation is much lower than that of a free-standing air conditioning unit.
- Efficiency Savings
Newer systems are highly efficient and start saving your energy right away. ENERGY STAR® estimates that ENGERY STAR® qualified heating and cooling equipment, when properly installed and maintained, can save 10-30% on your annual energy costs with a properly sealed duct system.
- Environmentally Friendly
By law, new systems must use the most environmentally sound products for your home. Chlorine-free Puron® refrigerant protects the ozone layer, is safer for the environment, and delivers superior cooling performance.
Get a Free Estimate
or call 877-310-0310
Areas We Serve
Areas We Serve